WILFRED M. WALDER, JR CREW - 427th BS
(crew assigned 427BS: 30 Jan 1945 - photo: 19 March 1945)
2Lt Wilfred M. Walder, Jr. (P)(1),
2Lt John E. Roche (CP)(2),
F/O (2Lt) John Wolansky (N)(3),
F/O (2Lt) Arthur E. Short (B)(4)
T/Sgt Roy H. Engelhardt (E)(5),
S/Sgt Francis M. Gibbons (R)(6),
S/Sgt David Doles, Jr. (BTG)(7),
Sgt Donald C. Mitchell (TG)(8)
Original Crewmen not in photo - Sgt Winston C. Teter (WG)(KIA)(9)
(crewmen are not in order)
-Sgt Winston C. Teter
(WG) - 19 February 1945, Mission #317 to
Gelsenkirchen, Germany in B-17G #42-39885 Sweet Rose O'Grady (427BS)
GN-R. Body returned to Molesworth. Buried at the American National
Cemetery at Cambridge, England, then returned to his family. Buried in Orange Cemetery, Guthrie County, Iowa. Was on his 4th combat mission.
- 1Lt Wilfred M. Walder, Jr. (P) - Flew 24 combat missions. Last mission
17 April 1945 as a Lead Crew Pilot. Flew 4 missions as a Lead Crew
CoPilot. Had a Spot Jammer on 3 missions and a Y-Operator on 6 missions
- F/O John E.Roche - Flew 24 missions. Last seven missions with other
Pilots. Last mission on 25 April 1945.
- 2Lt John Wolansky (N) - Flew 21 missions - Last 5 with other Pilots.
Last mission on 16 April 1945.
- F/O Arthur E. Short (B) - Flew 19 missions - 5 with other pilots. Last
mission on 17 April 1945.
- S/Sgt Roy H. Engelhardt (E) - Flew 23 missions all with Lt Walder Crew.
Last mission on 17 April 1945.
- S/Sgt Francis M. Gibbons (R) - Flew 24 missions . Last mission on 25
April 1945 as member of a Lead Crew.
- S/Sgt David Doles (BTG) - Flew on 22 missions - Last 3 as Lead Crew
Waist Gunner. Last mission on 17 April 1945.
- Sgt Donald C. Mitchell (TG) - Flew on 22 missions all with the Lt
Walder Crew. Last Mission on 17 April 1945.
- Waist Gunner - After Sgt Teter's Death on 19 February 1945 the Walder
Crew had substitute Waist Gunners on 13 missions. Flew with an eight man
crew, with no Waist Gunner, on 8 missions.
[photo courtesy of Mark Forlow]
[Researched by 303rdBGA Historian Harry D. Gobrecht]