Subject: [303rd BG News] 21 September 2009
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:42:54 -0600
List-Id: 303rd Bomb Group News <303rd-announce.303rdBG.com>

_*303rd Bomb Group <http://www.303rdbg.com>*_
*
N E W S   U P D A T E*
*21 September 2009*
*www.303rdBG.com <http://www.303rdbg.com>*
*_
_*_*
*_

*303rd Bomb Group Veterans at the Eighth Air Force Reunion
*
*Cincinnati, Ohio -- August 23, 2009*
(Back) Russ Klingensmith, Al Oswald, Lee Faulkner, Bob Hitchcock
(Front) Ralph Page, Don Foulk -- Martin Harbarger also attended
_*
*_More photos from the 2009 Cincinnati Reunion and a report on the 
activities are available here:
http://www.303rdbg.com/nexgen.html   Mark your calendars for the 2010 
Eighth Air Force Reunion.  It will be held in Tucson, Arizona on July 19 
- 24.

_* NEW  "BRIAN S. McGUIRE MEMORIAL PARKING LOT"  AT RAF MOLESWORTH
*__*
*_ The JAC is building a new parking lot just north of their large 
building.   It will be named for *LtCol Brian S. McGuire*.  The lot 
extends from the building to the end of the old main runway.  A formal 
dedication will take place when construction is complete in late 
October.  If you're one of those who knew Brian, I'm sure you'll agree 
that no one is more deserving of the honor.  Here's a small sampling of 
what he did for the 303rd Bomb Group.

After retiring in 1992 from the USAF as an intelligence officer, LtCol 
Brian S. McGuire worked as a contractor at RAF Molesworth. He maintained 
close contact with the 303rd Bomb Group Association and collected 
information on the rich heritage of the air base.  His efforts led to 
the acquisition of artifacts and artwork still on display.  His close 
association with the 303rd Bomb Group ensured that those working at RAF 
Molesworth would never forget the men who served there during WWII.

Brian started a program to encourage those serving at RAF Molesworth to 
send Christmas Cards to 303rd veterans and their widows, establishing 
important bonds across the generations.  He helped coordinate visits 
from WWII veterans, arranged Hangar Dances, and was instrumental in 
ensuring that every veteran that visited RAF Molesworth was welcomed and 
given a tour of the facility.

To honor those who served at Molesworth during WWII, Brian raised funds 
and contracted for the beautiful and impressive 303rd Bomb Group 
Memorial at the front gate.  The effort cost over $25,000 and was funded 
by sales of art, books, and from private donations. LtCol McGuire 
returned to Omaha, Nebraska in 2001.  He passed away August 31, 2005.
_*

*__*LIBERATION OF BREST, FRANCE -  65th ANNIVERSARY*_
_*
*_

_*
*_Ceremonies on September 18, 2009 in Brest, France marked the 65th 
Anniversary of its liberation.  The program honored 20 US servicemen who 
gave their lives near Brest.  Three 303rd Bomb Group men were among 
those honored: T/Sgt *Stanley Putala*, S/Sgt *Billie L. Staner* and Sgt 
*Wayne E. Harker*.  Photos of the ceremonies may be viewed here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/moncur/sets/72157622406511096/
_*

*__*STALAG LUFT I - PHOTOS

*_

    _**_

/*Stalag Luft I South Compound Guard Tower unoccupied 5 days before 
*//*Russian troops arrived (Apr 1945)*/

Recently added to the website are several rare and very interesting 
photos, taken at Stalag Luft I POW Camp in Barth, Germany.  They were 
taken by 2Lt Robert H. Palmer, from the 301st Bomb Group.  Many 303rd BG 
POWs were interred at Stalag Luft I.  Perhaps some are shown in the new 
photos now online.  See the photos at: 
http://www.303rdbg.com/pow-palmer-luft1.html  Additional fascinating 
photos from Stalag Luft I, taken by 303rd BG, 360th BS Pilot 2Lt George 
W. Luke, are also online here:  http://www.303rdbg.com/pow-luke-luft1.html
If you recognize anyone in the photos, please let me know.
_*
*__*

TAPS

*_ *John F. Dittmar*, of Cottekill, NY, a World War II veteran who owned 
Valley Press in Kingston prior to his retirement from the printing 
business in1985, died at Kingston Hospital on Thursday, Sept. 10, 2009.  
He was 89.  Mr. Dittmar served with the U.S.  Army Air Forces during the 
war.  He was the radio operator on the 303rd BG, 359th BS 1Lt Jack Magee 
Crew.  He flew seven combat missions at the end of the air war, 
including the final mission the 303rd Bomb Group flew on April 25, 
1945.  On that final mission, Pilot Magee was seriously injured and 
bleeding profusely.  The crewmen stabilized his wounds and treated him 
for shock, saving his life.

*G. Fred Bostick*, 89, of Thomasville, GA and Jacksonville Beach, FL, 
died Sunday, Sept. 6, 2009. He was a World War II veteran who served in 
the Army Air Corps and the U.S. Air Force, surviving 52 combat missions 
as a member of the 43rd Bomb Group, Australia, in the Pacific theater, 
and as a member of the 303rd Bomb Group, England, in the European 
theater. Fred was twice wounded and received many medals and 
commendations for his service to his country including the Purple Heart, 
Silver Star, Distinguished Service Medal, and Distinguished Flying 
Cross, to name but a few.

_*PREVIOUS NEWS UPDATES
*_Previous News Updates are available online.  See:  
http://www.303rdbg.com/newsupdates.html
Your thoughts and comments are always welcome and may be included in 
future News Updates.

Keeping the Legacy Alive,
Gary

-- 
___________
*Gary L. Moncur
**303rd Bomb Group Historian
[email-masked]
www.303rdBG.com

*

If you would prefer not to receive these 303rd Bomb Group News Updates, please reply and let me know.