Subject: [303rd BG News] 1 May 2009
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:43:32 -0600
List-Id: 303rd Bomb Group News <303rd-announce.303rdBG.com>

_*303rd Bomb Group <http://www.303rdbg.com>*_
*
N E W S   U P D A T E S*
*1 May 2009*
*www.303rdBG.com <http://www.303rdbg.com>
*
*_COMING UP THIS MONTH_
Mother's Day: May 10
Armed Forces Day: May 16
Memorial Day: May 25

**__**_Project: FOLDED FLAG;  _*_*Remembering Those Who Have Passed On*_
Several years ago, with the help of a few dedicated volunteers, we 
obtained photographs of the graves of every 303rd BG man who rests in 
overseas American Cemeteries <http://www.303rdbg.com/cem-photos.html>.  
Many who were Killed in Action were returned to their families and are 
buried in local cemeteries across the country.  Also, many who came 
safely from the war have since passed away.

*Project: FOLDED FLAG* expands the original concept to include 
photographs of the graves or memorials of ALL 303rd BG men who have 
passed away.  This is a huge undertaking that will be an ongoing effort 
for many years and will take hundreds of volunteers.

_**_As you visit the graves of your 303rd BG family and friends this 
month of Memorial Day, please take a photograph of the grave and send it 
to me.  Be sure to include the name of the Cemetery, City and State 
where it is located.  Gravestone photographs will be linked from the 
veteran's name in the TAPS pages <http://www.303rdbg.com/taps1.html> 
with a  gravestone icon.  Some are there now.

If your loved one was cremated, as many were, please send me that 
information, including where it took place.  You are also encouraged to 
submit a Memorial Photograph for those who were cremated.  See the 
*George Kyle Memorial* for an example:  
http://www.303rdbg.com/mem-kyle-george.jpg

If a grave is located in a cemetery far from home and you need someone 
to take a photo for you, perhaps we can help.  Send me the name and 
cemetery and we'll look for volunteers in future News Updates.  Also, 
the *Find A Grave* website at:  http://www.findagrave.com/ has volunteer 
photographers across the country often willing to help.

Please help us honor those who have passed on and make *Project: FOLDED 
FLAG* a huge success.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

_*TAPS

*_Carey G. Pope*Carey Glyn Pope*, 88, passed away Wednesday, April 15, 
2009, in Tulsa, OK. Born June 10, 1920, to Milton James and Mattie Mae 
(Rochester) Pope in New Albany, MS. Carey flew 54 bomb missions during 
WWII [Ball turret gunner on the 360th Bartholomew Crew], after honorable 
discharge from the Army Air Corp, he returned to marry his sweetheart 
Helen. After they married he enrolled at the University of Colorado 
using the G.I. bill, graduating from the University of Denver in 1948 . . .

*Milbury C. Charlton*, 95, died on Jan. 18, 2008, in Mount Dora, Fla.  
Mr. Charlton was born in Morrisville on Nov. 8, 1912, the oldest son of 
the late Isaiah and Olive Charlton. He graduated from Morrisville-Eaton 
Central School and the State University in Morrisville. Milbury entered 
the U. S. Army in 1940 where he served as a Crew Chief with the 427th 
Bomb Squadron 303rd Bomb Group during World War II. . . .

*Gordon E. Hoeft*, age 92 of Oshkosh, WI passed away on April 23, 2009 
at Aurora Medical Center. He was born on August 26, 1916 in Oshkosh, the 
son of Edwin C. and Linda (Voigt) Hoeft. On June 19, 1948 he married 
Elizabeth "Betty" Schenk in Oshkosh. . . .  During WWII he served as an 
ammunition supply technician with the rank of T/Sgt in the 427th 
Squadron of the 303rd Bomb Group operating in the European Theater and 
was awarded the Bronze Star.

Keeping the Legacy Alive,
Gary

- -
Gary L. Moncur
303rd Bomb Group Historian
[email-masked]
www.303rdBG.com

If you would prefer not to receive these 303rd Bomb Group News updates, please reply and let me know.