Subject: 26 December 2009
From: Gary Moncur <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:20:40 -0700

_*303rd Bomb Group <http://www.303rdbg.com>*_
*
**N E W S   U P D A T E
*/*The Latest News From the 303rd Bomb Group*/*/

/**26 December 2009*
*www.303rdBG.com <http://www.303rdbg.com>*

*H A P P Y   N E W   Y E A R !!*

*/The Saturday Evening Post/
December 26, 1942 and January 2, 1943*

_*D-Day 2009 Ceremonies at Normandy American Cemetery:
*_
_*Flowers for the "Mugger" Crew
*_
For many years Jacky Emery has been researching American airmen who were 
lost to enemy action in the Sarthe Region of France, near Le Mans.  The 
first American plane lost in that area was B-17F #42-5792, "The 
Mugger."  Pilot 2Lt Robert S. O'Connor and his crew were shot down on 
Mission #48, 4 July 1943, and crashed in the village of 
Noyen-sur-Sarthe.  2Lt O'Connor and 2Lt Richard W. Peterson (Bombardier) 
were killed in action. The townspeople of Malicorne believed that 2Lt 
O'Connor stayed with his stricken ship so that it would not hit the 
town. A small granite monument honoring the O'Connor Crew was erected on 
the site of the crash after the war.

Each year Jacky and Martine Emery participate in the D-Day ceremonies at 
Normandy American Cemetery.  Jacky continues to search for families of 
those who gave their lives defending our freedom.  As Jacky says, 
"French people never forget this sacrifice."   Again this year Jacky 
placed flowers on the graves of the two crewman of "The Mugger" buried 
in the Normandy American Cemetery.   The Emerys were "proud and honored" 
to place flowers on the graves of 2Lt Robert S. O'Connor and 2Lt  
Richard W. Peterson.  Below are photographs of the event, presided over 
by President Obama.  We are grateful to Jacky and Martine Emery for 
their dedication and efforts preserving the memory of these American heroes.

/*Jacky Emery with President Obama*/
_*
TAPS
*_*
Fred E. Mitchell II* of Smyrna, TN, died December 22, 2009 at Alive 
Hospice Residence in Nashville, TN. He was 87. Mr. Mitchell was preceded 
in death by his parents, Cora Beatrice Moore Mitchell and Fred Evans 
Mitchell; his wife of 45 years, Wilma Louise Grubbs Mitchell; his 
sister, Emma King Mitchell Woods; and his son, Cpl. Fred E. Mitchell 
III. Mr. Mitchell is survived by daughters, Connie Mitchell Spence and 
her husband, Edward Spence of Jackson, TN; Mary Mitchell Johannes of 
Nashville; son, Michael King Mitchell and his wife, Deborah Mitchell of 
Smyrna; daughter-in-law, Juanita Mitchell of Pelham, AL; grandchildren, 
Scott Spence of Jackson, TN, Christi Spence Harrington and her husband, 
Donald Harrington of Memphis, and Robin Howell of Birmingham, AL; great 
grandson, Alexander Wilhelm Spence Lane of Memphis; and niece, Barbara 
Woods Tinney of Smyrna.

Mr. Mitchell was born June 9, 1922 at his parent's home on the corner of 
7th and Shelby Streets in Nashville. He graduated from Hume-Fogg High 
School where he met his wife, Wilma Grubbs. They married in 1942. During 
World War II, Mr. Mitchell served as a B-17 Bomber pilot in the 8th Air 
Force of the Army Air Force, 41st Combat Wing, 303rd Bomb Group, 427th 
Squadron in Molesworth, England. He was awarded the Air Medal and the 
Distinguished Flying Cross. After his service, Mr. Mitchell made his 
career as a graphic artist and manager for Triangle Printing Company of 
Nashville. Fred Mitchell was a beloved husband, son, brother and father; 
and a counselor and friend to many in times of need. He was a respected 
member of the printing and paper business communities of Nashville. He 
instilled in his children respect for all persons, love of learning, 
nature, and beauty, compassion, and self-sacrificing love.

*Humphrey P. O'Leary* 93, died peacefully following a short illness, 
surrounded by his family on December 11, 2009. He was born in Oakland, 
CA of Irish immigrant parents, graduated from St. Elizabeth's High 
School and from U.C. Berkeley with a degree in Chemical Engineering in 
the class of 1939. He is survived by Lavonne, his loving wife of 68 
years and children and their spouses, Patricia Davis (Rick), Rita 
Edwards (Robert), James O'Leary (Judy), Jean Parkins (Moss), and Carol 
O'Leary (Rick). He is also survived by his grandchildren and their 
spouses Scott Edwards (Kristina), Denise Edwards, Kathleen Sepulveda 
(Rodrigo), Patrick Holder, and Anthony Glenn and great-granddaughters 
Kendra and Hailey Edwards. He is also survived by his sister, Kathleen 
Oskea and loving nieces and nephews. He is preceded in death by his 
parents, Patrick and Margaret O'Leary and sister Rita Ragno.

Humphrey served in the U.S. Army during the liberation of Europe in 
WWII, and remained in reserve status, retiring with rank of Colonel. He 
was a long time employee of NL Industries in both Oakland and Southern 
California. He did the best at everything he did-he was the best. Family 
gave him his greatest joys. He had a unique analytical mind and loved to 
share his thinking with others and invent solutions for everyday needs. 
He made many trips to see family in Co. Cork, Ireland and became the 
prime bearer of our Irish heritage. Family vacations to Lake Tahoe 
highlighted each year, although Yosemite and Half Dome remained 
unmatched for him.
*

**Walter E. Sloan* , devoted husband of June Williamson Sloan and the 
late Anna Jane Sloan (nee Zozula), loving father of Mike (Beverly) 
Sloan, Susan L. (Dennis) Wolfe and Jeffery J. Sloan, stepfather of 
Kenneth E. (Janice) Williamson and Helena Ruth (Terry) Collins, 
cherished grandfather of Kenny, Kevin & Jeremy Williamson, Tara Ward, 
Tracy Curtis, David Collins, Steven Sloan, Amy Bass, Christine Richter, 
Danny Wolfe and the late Julie Anna Sloan, dear brother of Mary Hamner 
and the late William E. Sloan and Dorothy Bates, also survived by 
fifteen grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.

Walter worked as the vice president of sales and service for Cincinnati 
Mine & Machinery Co. for 42 years and served in the US Army Air Corps 
303rd Bomb Group, 358 Division as a Ball Turret Gunner and made 32 
missions over Europe. Thursday, December 3, 2009.  Age 83 years.

*Stephen M. Koziol, Sr.*, 92, formerly of Sedgelia St. in Springfield, 
died on Tuesday, November 3, 2009 at Heritage Hall East in Agawam. He 
was a twelve year retired machinist for Eastern Etching Co. in Chicopee, 
retiring in 1982. Stephen was born on October 14, 1917 in Chicopee and 
later lived in Springfield. For the past few years, Stephen lived in 
Agawam. He was the son of the late Martin and Agnes (Pietras) Koziol. 
Stephen was a communicant of the Basilica of St. Stanislaus Bishop and 
Martyr and an Army veteran of World War II serving with the Medical 
Detachment 303rd Station Hospital. He was recognized and awarded a 
certificate as a Patient Advocate at Heritage Hall Nursing Home. Stephen 
is predeceased by his first wife, Julia (Szczepanik) Koziol, who died in 
1956 and his second wife, Helen (Ligarski) Koziol, who died in 2004; two 
brothers, Stanley and Ferdinand; three sisters, Anne Bielski, Josephine 
Koziol and Genevieve Serafin. He is survived by a son, Stephen M. 
Koziol, Jr. and his wife, Scott of Silver Spring, MD; a daughter, Carole 
Trudel and her husband, Rene of Agawam; six grandchildren and four great 
grandchildren. The funeral will be held on Friday, November 6, 2009 at 9 
am from the Cierpial Memorial Funeral Home on 69 East St. in Chicopee 
Falls, followed by a Liturgy of Christian Burial in the Basilica of St. 
Stanislaus at 10 am. The burial will be in St. Stanislaus Cemetery.

*Kermit Lamar Walters*  of Rayville, LA passed away December  4, 2009 at 
the age of 97.
Mr. Walters was a graduate of Southern Arkansas University, University 
of Arkansas and Louisiana State University.  During WW II he served in 
the United States Army Air Corps in the  North African and European 
Theatres.  He was a retired Assistant Superintendant of Richland Parish 
Schools.   

He is survived by his wife Joyce P. Walters of Rayville, LA; a son Dr. 
Kermit Lamar Walters, Jr. and his wife Dianne of Monroe, LA, and their 
son K. Lamar Walters, III and his wife Heather of Monroe, LA their 
daughter Rosalie Walters of New York City; son Randy Gerald Walters and 
his wife Stephanie of Rayville and their son R.J. Walters.

*Theodore S. "Ted" Essock*, 93, of North Redington Beach, FL, died 
Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2009, at Freedom Square Nursing Center. Born in 
Whitewater, WI, he moved to Florida in 1980. He was a United States Army 
veteran. Theodore owned and operated Ted's Motor Sales for many years in 
Whitewater. He collected coins, horse figurines, was a music lover, and 
loved to travel by car. He was preceded in death by his first wife, 
Jeanne; parents, Harry and Pauline Eleanor (Brodie) Essock; and stepson, 
Bruce Gillemete. He is survived by his daughter and son-in-law, Cyd and 
Kirk Wiatt; loving wife of 25 years, Marguerite S. Essock of North 
Redington Beach; his nephew, Harry L. Essock of Milton, WI; and several 
other nieces and nephews.

* Robert J. "Bob" Weaver*, 85, husband of the late Irene M. (Lesher) 
Weaver, of Loganton, passed away on Wednesday, Sept. 30, 2009 at 
Williamsport Hospital. Born on April 11, 1924, in Salona, he was the son 
of the late Robert S. and Faye E. (Wagner) Weaver. He was a graduate of 
the former Lock Haven Teachers College, now Lock Haven University. Bob 
was a an English teacher at the former Sugar Valley High School retiring 
in 1983 after over 30 years of service. He was a member of the Trinity 
United Methodist Church, Greenburr, a long time member of the Lions and 
Sportsmens Clubs, Dusty Boots and the Sugar Valley Snowmobile Riders 
Club. Bob was well known for his appliance and snowmobile repair 
business. He served his country honorably in the United State Army Air 
Corps, during WWII.

*Gerald J.  "Jerry" Groth -  *Born To Eternal Life on October 20, 2006, 
age 87 years.  Loving husband of Joyce (nee Schroeder) for 62 
years.  Loving dad of Gary (Lana), Robin (Joe) Radocay and Wendy 
(Christopher) Durik.  Loving grandpa of Maggie (Shawn) Piekarski, Katie 
(Andy) Bradford, Jason (Leah) Radocay, Jerrod and Jessica Radocay and 
Gabby Durik.  Loving great-grandpa of Claire, Owen, Gwen and 
Julianne.  Special cousin of Marian (Erv) Porte, Bob (Ginny) Vaneska and 
Betty Johnson.  Further survived by other relatives and friends. . . .  
Jerry served in the Army Air Corps overseas during WW II.  Member of 
Lewis-Travis AMVETS Post #14.  Jerry was an avid golfer and was a 
retired teacher from the West Allis-West Milwaukee School District after 
33 years of service.

_*FEEDBACK*_

    /Not so long ago I asked about local kids and in the latest news
    letter I find a picture of local kid meeting Santa.  Well we may
    have a possible match! It's Derrick Johnston, the kid on the left
    with the cheesy grin. I must admit that's the happiest I've ever
    seen him, and that's why its hard to ID him, but my dad would have
    been 15 that Christmas. I think he's happier being on the base than
    seeing Santa. So thanks for sharing that picture with us. I'll be
    showing it to the rest of the family and see if they think its him.
    Paul Johnston
    /
    /
    I just want to express my appreciation for your work on this
    newsletter.  I thoroughly enjoy reading it when it arrives.   You do
    a wonderful job keeping everyone informed and the 303rd alive. 
    Blessings to you and yours this holiday season.  Thank you,  E. Godwin

    Many thanks for your News Update.   Really appreciate your time and
    effort to keep us posted on the old 303rd.    Brings back a lot of
    memories.    Spent Christmas 1944 in Molesworth.  I think we flew
    the next day.   Wish you and Susan a very  MERRY CHRISTMAS.   The
    Grisham family.   Best personal regards.  

    Dear Gary, Thanks for all you do to preserve the memory of our loved
    ones.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family! 
    Blessings,  Joel (nephew of Joseph E. Haas, pilot of the "Hunga
    Dunga" KIA 1/23/43)

    Gary and Susan, For Mother and myself, I just wanted to wish you a
    Merry Christmas or Happy Christmas as they would say in England,  We
    do appreciate all that you do to keep the fires of memory burning on
    this important front.  At times I have been asked to speak to groups
    on the subject and understand the satisfaction that you feel.  I
    especially love to hear the young people's questions-- often naive
    and innocent, yet profound.  It is vital that we do remember these
    fine examples in our lives.  How fortunate we are to have had them
    as our fathers.  Personally, thank you for your friendship and the
    honor you pay my father by the many things that you have done. 
    Love, Hal (son of a Gunn) and Mom (Jerry)

    The Moncur family has offered so much to the memory of your dad. 
    The Gary Moncur family has given so much to the 303rd.  The latest
    Hells Angels News with all the pictures is another keeper.  Thank
    you for the greetings from you and Susan.  Lorene and I send our
    greetings for the holiday season and the new year.  The picture of
    "Pappy" Slawson is one I use in my WWII slide program.  I made a
    presentation Monday, December 7 before a junior high class at Our
    Lady of Grace Catholic Academy.   Al Dussliere//

    I want to say thank you for your news of the 303rd. I am in the Air
    Force too, and going to be on my way to another war. My Uncle was
    Tsgt Raymond Ladurini of the 359th Bomb Squadron assigned to the B17
    called Duffy's Tavern. Please remember us who still hold honor to
    our father and uncles that gave everything for us. Msgt Ray Ladurini

    Merry Christmas Gary and Susan! A terrific message.  Congratulations
    on getting your dad's crew on view in the JAC. The Pearl Harbor
    story is very timely and well done. Best wishes for a healthy and
    happy 2010 and thanks for all you have done for the 303rd Bomb
    Group. Much love to the Moncur family. Keith & Peggy Ferris

    /

_*PREVIOUS NEWS UPDATES
*_Previous News Updates are available online.  See:  
http://www.303rdbg.com/newsupdates.html
Your comments and feedback are always appreciated and may be included in 
future News Updates.

Keeping the Legacy Alive,
Gary

___________
*Gary L. Moncur* * 303rd Bomb Group Historian
[email-masked]
www.303rdBG.com*