Subject: [303rd BG News] 05 October 2009
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 13:18:59 -0600
List-Id: 303rd Bomb Group News <303rd-announce.303rdBG.com>

_*303rd Bomb Group <http://www.303rdbg.com>*_
*
N E W S   U P D A T E*
*5 October 2009*
*www.303rdBG.com <http://www.303rdbg.com>*

 *Molesworth, England - 7 July 1942 - **A crew of engineers pour concrete
for a runway during the construction of the new airfield.

*
RAF Molesworth was established as a bomber base for the Royal Air 
Force.  It was first occupied by the Royal Australian Air Force, 
equipped with Wellington IV aircraft.  In February 1942, General Ira 
Eaker and four US staff members inspected Molesworth for possible 
American use.  Later that year, the airfield was extended to accommodate 
US heavy bomber aircraft.

The photo and caption above are from the National Archives.  The 
Archives' caption actually shows the date as July 7, 1943.  By  that 
date, the 303rd Bomb Group had already flown 48 missions.  The runways 
were extended in the summer of 1942.  So, either the date is incorrect, 
or they're pouring something other than a runway.  Nevertheless, it is 
an interesting photograph.   Perhaps this is the very runway that is now 
partially overlapped by the new Brian S. McGuire Memorial Parking Lot, 
which currently serves the needs of the servicemen and women of the 
Joint Analysis Center.

*RAF Molesworth, England:  New Brian S. McGuire Memorial Parking Lot Now 
Open*
Base Commander, Marine Corps Colonel Peter H. "Pete" Devlin (right) and 
Senior Enlisted Leader,  Navy Master Chief
John C. Frakes unveil the sign at the  October 4, 2009 opening of the 
new Brian S. McGuire Memorial Parking Lot
*
by Mr. Peter G. Park,  JAC Commander's Action Group*

For a long time the leadership at RAF Molesworth has wanted to do 
something meaningful to honor Brian S. McGuire for his amazing work in 
keeping the legacy of the brave men of the 303rd Bomb Group (H) in World 
War II alive for the young men and women serving in a very different war 
here at RAF Molesworth today.

Brian's service was felt every day as he posted the mission reports for 
the missions over Nazi occupied Germany on that same day in 1942, 1943, 
1944, and 1945.  The culmination of his selfless service was of course 
his tireless efforts along with the 303rd Bomb Group Association  to 
fund and erect the proud 303rd Bomb Group (H) Memorial that stands at 
the gate of this American base, and surely will remain for centuries to 
come.

When our Commander, Marine Corps Colonel Peter H. "Pete" Devlin decided 
to select this parking lot, which in part overlaps the old runway where 
the B-17 Flying Fortresses of the 303rd Bomb Group touched down after 
their missions, it was obviously going to be a most appropriate way to 
memorialize Brian.

Please see Mr. Park's entire article at: 
http://www.501csw.usafe.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123170585

_*303rd BOMB GROUP AWARDS - 2009*_
_

_Major *Thomas H. Hardin, Jr.* (USAF Retired), was recently awarded 
another Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster to the Air Medal, for "extraordinary 
achievement while serving as a pilot of B-17 bombers on missions over 
enemy-occupied continental Europe during World War II."  Previously, 
Major Hardin had been awarded the Air Medal with a Silver Oak Leaf 
Cluster.  This makes his seventh Air Medal.  Other awards he has 
received include the Distinguished Flying Cross and eight Bronze Battle 
Stars.  Major Hardin has 11,426 hours of flying time._
_
In late 1944 and early 1945 Major Hardin completed 35 combat missions. 
At that time, 8th Air Force policy was that the Air Medal or Oak Leaf 
Cluster be awarded for each five missions flown.  He was awarded the Air 
Medal with five Oak leaf clusters instead of the six he had earned.   
Recently Major Hardin petitioned USAF Headquarters at Andrews Air Force 
Base, Maryland for the missing medal.  His petition was approved.  Major 
Hardin's navigator, George E. Hiebler (recently deceased), and waist 
gunner, Paul V. Sersland, were in the same situation.  Data has been 
submitted to Andrews AFB in their behalf.
_
_

_*303rd BOMB GROUP AWARDS - 1943 *_

These photos of awards being presented are from the National Archives.  
The captions did not include names.  The photos are  said to be from 
June 27, 1943.  Can you identify anyone in the photos?   Do you know  
what award is being presented?   Any additional information will be welcome.
_*
*_
_**___

____

____

____

_

*TAPS

*_*Clayton A. Guedel*, 86, of Dover, Ohio, died peacefully Tuesday, 
Sept. 22, 2009. . .  He was drafted into the U.S. Army in January of 
1943.  After basic training in Texas, Louisiana and North Carolina, he 
served two and a half years overseas in England with the 303rd Station 
Hospital as a PFC assigned to the X-ray department for two years as a 
typist of all medical reports, etc. and then finished out his Army 
career with the 554 Military Police Escort Guard Company before 
receiving his honorable discharge in February 1946. . .

_*
*_*Werner G. Warmuth*, age 87, passed away suddenly on Wednesday, 
September 23, 2009, in Fowler, Ca. He was born on December 19, 1921, in 
Gruenau, Texas . . .  Werner graduated from Tranquility High School in 
1939, and was drafted into the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1942, and was 
assigned to the 8th Air Force 303rd Bomb Group, 427th Bomb Squadron, 
"The Hells Angels", stationed at Molesworth, England. He flew 17 
missions as a bombardier on a B-17, the "Tiny Angel", HS Cook pilot and 
was shot down over Malberg, Germany, and was taken prisoner on August 
15, 1944. He was in Stalag III. As the war was ending they were moved to 
Stalag 7, near Moosburg, a 63 mile march in a freezing snow storm where 
they were liberated by General George Patton. Werner returned to San 
Joaquin Ca. to live a full and productive life.

*John Victor "Vic" Jones* 86 of Roxboro, NC, died Thursday, September 
24, 2009 at his home. . .  He was an Army Air Corps WWII Veteran based 
in Molesworth, England having flown 28 successful missions over Europe 
as a Togglier on a B-17.  [359th 2Lt Clyde H. Henning Crew]  . . .  He 
was a private pilot having been a former member of the Person County 
Pilot Association and worked at the Person County Airport for a number 
of years.

_*PREVIOUS NEWS UPDATES
*_Previous News Updates are available online.  See:  
http://www.303rdbg.com/newsupdates.html
Do you know of anyone not receiving these News Updates that would like 
them?  Please send me their email addresses.

Your comments and feedback are always appreciated and may be included in 
future News Updates.

Keeping the Legacy Alive,
Gary

-- 
___________
*Gary L. Moncur
**303rd Bomb Group Historian
[email-masked]
www.303rdBG.com

*

If you would prefer not to receive these 303rd Bomb Group News Updates, please reply and let me know.