Subject: [303rd BG News] 26 July 2009
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:10:27 -0600
List-Id: 303rd Bomb Group News <303rd-announce.303rdBG.com>

_*303rd Bomb Group <http://www.303rdbg.com>*_
*
N E W S   U P D A T E S*
*26 July 2009*
*www.303rdBG.com <http://www.303rdbg.com>*
*_
_*
*Walter Cronkite*, 92, passed away July 17, 2009 at his home in New 
York.  As a reporter for United Press, Mr. Cronkite flew two missions 
with the 303rd Bomb Group (H).  His first was Mission 17,  February 26, 
1943 to Wilhelmshaven, Germany.   Captain Glenn E. Hagenbuch, 427th BS, 
was the pilot of S for Sugar in which Walter Cronkite flew.  He reported 
being "escorted" by FW-190s and ME-109s and, in the most unpopular 
phrase of the day, "the flak was so thick you could walk on it."   He 
later flew on Mission 172 to Caen, France on D-Day, June 6, 1944, with 
360th BS pilot Captain Robert W. Sheets and his crew.  The 303rd's 
relationship to Mr. Cronkite was unique among all 8th AF bomb groups.

Putting on flying clothes are reporters (L-R): Gladwin Hill, William 
Wade, Robert Post, Walter
Cronkite, Homer Bigart and Paul Manning. Cronkite and Bigart flew with 
the 303rd BG(H).

Mr. Cronkite wrote several newspaper articles about his experiences with 
the 303rd Bomb Group, including this one:

*'Quinine' Flew Back to a Sea Burial*
  By *Walter L. Cronkite*
     United Press Staff Writer

A USAAF Bomber Station,  England, June 30----
A little old lady stood on the pebbled beach with a glass of rum in her 
hand. From the surf, his hair matted with salt water and his flying suit 
dripping, walked a young American pilot.  The little old lady handed him 
the glass of rum and said, "I've been saving this for just such an 
occasion".  Thus ended the saga of the Flying Fortress, "Quinine----The 
Bitter Dose".

George V. Stallings Jr, of Rowayton, Conn., the pilot, got the rum. A 
quarter of an hour before, after all his crew had jumped from their 
shell-splattered ship, he headed her out to sea and followed them.  They 
landed on the coast but he fell a half mile from shore and before he 
could unbuckle his parachute it had dragged him another half mile.  
Although he knew the rescue launch would soon be there, Stallings 
started swimming and reached shore before the launch reached him.  He 
walked into the helping arms of half a dozen Britishers who had watched 
the lonely drama in the skies until 'Quinine' plunged into the sea.

This all happened Friday after the Fortress raid on northwest Germany.  
But here's the story in Stalling's own words:
    " We were hit when we were somewhere in those awful clouds over 
Germany.  Enemy fighters blew the rudder off the ship and knocked a big 
hole in the stabilizer.  There were 20mm bursts all through the ship, 
and the smell of cordite was so strong that Joe (Co-Pilot 2/Lt Joe E. 
Bradbury, of Besley, Ohio) and I almost passed out. But that was the 
least of our worries, because just then another shell severed the 
control cables.  The rudder pedals fell limp under our feet and the 
control column just dropped loose against the dashboard.   

The ship was out of control for a couple of minutes, and the crew kept 
asking on the intercom, 'Now?'  But Joe and I were too busy to answer. 
About that time Stick (S/Sgt John J. Stickler, of Johnstown, Pa) called 
up from the tail, 'Pieces are flying off the ship back here.' "That 
didn't help our morale any. We headed home then, jumping from cloud to 
cloud and hiding from the Germans, but they were getting shots in at us, 
and one started a fire in the radio room.  All the boys were sticking to 
their posts and knew that Joe and I were busy, so they didn't even 
bother to tell us about it.
   "A minute before, one of the gunners had another narrow escape when a 
20mm shell took eight inches off the end of his machine gun.
   "We got a 20mm hit in the nose about then that smashed the 
navigator's desk, shredded the maps and left Jim Kelley (Navigator 2/Lt 
James F. Kelley of Silver Springs, Md.) with only a Mercator map to get 
us home.
    "We started lightening the ship by throwing guns, cameras, the spare 
radio and everything else that was loose overboard. We realized then 
there was little chance of getting home and started making plans to bail 
out, because Joe and I knew we could not control the craft well enough 
to land her.
   "Then came the severest shock of all when we found the escape door 
stuck and the bomb bay door also jammed.  We finally managed to get the 
bomb bay doors open just as we reached England and two of the boys went 
out each side behind the injured gunner to give him help when he reached 
the ground.  The others bailed out then, and I headed 'Quinine' out to 
sea.  We wanted to get the radioman's body overboard by parachute but 
that was impossible, so out at sea I bid him and the ship goodbye and 
managed somehow to keep the ship under control while I strapped on a 
'chute and hurried down to the open bomb bay doors.  The 'Quinine' 
circled me once and then plunged into the sea."

All the crew members landed safely and the injured gunner is recovering 
in the hospital.  Other members of the crew were 2/Lt Frank E. Kulesa of 
Detroit, bombardier; T/Sgt James A. Watson of Houlton, Me, top turret 
gunner; ball turret gunner T/Sgt. Arthur S. Stevens, of Jefferson City, 
Mo.; waist gunner S/Sgt Robert H. Yattaw, of Minneapolis; and nose 
gunner T/Sgt Michael S. Hlastala, of Uniontown, Pa.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

On behalf of the 303rd Bomb Group, Eddie Deerfield, former 303rd BGA 
Hell's Angels Newsletter Editor, sent condolences to Mr. Cronkite's 
staff.   Below is his message and the reply:

    Dear Marlene and Julie,
     
        On the morning of February 26, 1943, B-17's of the 303^rd Bomb
    Group with their ten-man crews took off from Molesworth to attack
    submarine pens at Wilhelmshaven in Germany.  The eleventh man on one
    of our 427^th Squadron bombers was Walter Cronkite.  He said at the
    time that he was too excited to be afraid.  Five hours later, the
    B-17's returned and Mr. Cronkite wrote, "American Flying Fortresses
    have just come back from Wilhelmshaven, an assignment to hell; a
    hell 26,000 feet above the earth, a hell of burning tracer bullets
    and bursting gunfire, of crippled fortresses and burning German
    fighters, of parachuting men and others not so lucky."

        303rd Bomb Group veterans, in our eighties and nineties,
    gathered in September 2007 to celebrate a final reunion. As you'll
    recall, Mr. Cronkite planned to join us, but had to regret.  He
    wrote, "For a long time I have been looking forward to being present
    as the 303rd meets again.  Just now I have learned that I cannot be
    with you on this important Sunday and I suffer deep disappointment. 
    I wanted so much to see you all again--you courageous men of the
    303rd group who I had the privilege of knowing and whose
    achievements I reported to a grateful nation during World War II. 
    Day after day, the 303rd wrote in the skies of Europe an incredible
    history of valiance that assured victory for the civilized nations
    of the world."

        Mr. Cronkite's letter was read aloud from the podium at the
    303rd's farewell banquet, and our veterans rose to applaud and
    salute him.  He was, indeed, one of us, a veteran of the 303^rd Bomb
    Group, and now we have lost him.  

        We extend our heartfelt condolences to you, Marlene and Julie,
    who were at his side for so many years, and ask that you inform his
    family of our collective grief at his passing.

    Eddie Deerfield

    LtCol, USArmy (Ret.)

    303rd Bomb Group

------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Dear Eddie,

    Walter reveled in the time he spent with you all and cherished his
    lasting memories.  In many ways, the time he spent with all of you
    defined his career as a WWII Correspondent.  He was so sad not to be
    able to attend your reunion, but certain that you all knew how much
    he admired and respected the great men of the 303rd.  He was with
    you in spirit.
     
    I  hope you continue to have these reunions for many years to come,
    and raise a glass or two to him while you're all together.  Bless
    you all for what you have done.  Though I was born after the war, I
    am a member of that grateful nation who will never forget your
    sacrifices.
     
    With deepest gratitude,
     
    Marlene
     
    P.S.  I am forwarding your lovely note on to Julie and will share it
    with Walter's family as well.

_*
*_
_*
TAPS
*_
*Wilbur "Bud" Klint*  (90) went home to be with His Savior on July 21, 
2009 in Ft. Worth, TX . . .  Bud was born July 18, 1919, put his trust 
in Christ at 11 and followed Him faithfully all his life. He was a 
committed husband to his sweetheart, Mary Ruth McWhorter Klint for 63 
years.  Bud was dedicated to his family, beloved by his wide circle of 
friends. He invested his time in people and maintained friendships 
across the United States and in Schweinfurt, Germany. He lived his life 
with integrity and a great sense of humor. God, family, friends and 
country were the priorities of his life and heart.  He was a B-17 pilot 
and flew in the greatest air battle of WWII, the 2nd Schweinfurt Mission 
referred to as Black Thursday. He considered one of his greatest life 
accomplishments was uniting the Black Thursday crew members with the 
German air and ground defense through the SSMA organization, forming 
life long friendships. Their motto "Once enemies due to circumstances 
beyond our control, now friends by choice."

Bud and Mary attended their first 303rd BGA Reunion in August 1981 after 
his retirement.  Shortly thereafter he became Editor of the "Hell's 
Angels Newsletter" for 14 issues (January 1982 issue through the May 
1985 issue).  He was elected as President of the 303rd BGA on 30 
September 1989 through 27 May 1991.  Bud was on reunion committees for 
many years, managed the 1987 Ft. Worth Reunion and was co-chairman of 
the 1989 Norfolk, Reunion.  He was the  427th BS Representative from 27 
May 1991 to 21 September 1992.   Bud and Mary were dear friends to 
everyone in the 303rd Bomb Group Association.

*Anthony  J. Sacco Sr.*  1919 - 2009 - The Longtime Businessman, Veteran 
and Civic Leader died Saturday, July 18, 2009, at North Adams Regional 
Hospital surrounded by his family.  He was born in North Adams on Feb. 
14, 1919, son of Frank & Maria Marchia Sacco. He attended schools in 
North Adams. He was a decorated veteran of World War II where he served 
three and a half years overseas in England and Africa with the Army Air 
Corp 303rd Bomb-Group Squad known as the "Hells Angels". He received the 
ETO medal for the African Campaign as well as the Presidential Citation 
among others. During World War II all six Sacco brothers served during 
the same time.

*Weldon "Tex" Mahan* died in November 2006.

Keeping the Legacy Alive,
Gary

-- 
___________
*Gary L. Moncur
**303rd Bomb Group Historian
[email-masked]
www.303rdBG.com

*
If you would prefer not to receive these 303rd Bomb Group News Updates, please reply and let me know.