Subject: 303rd BG News - 17 July 2009
From: Gary Moncur <[email-masked]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:35:53 -0600

_*303rd Bomb Group <http://www.303rdbg.com>*_
*
N E W S   U P D A T E S*
*17 July 2009*
*www.303rdBG.com <http://www.303rdbg.com>*
*_

_**_NEW AWARD AT JAC MOLESWORTH  NAMED FOR FABIAN FOLMER_
* _
_Colonel Peter H. Devlin, Commander and the JIOCEUR  Analytic Center at 
Molesworth, England has just approved a new award in honor of our own 
*M/Sgt Fabian S. Folmer*.  The award will be known as the "MASTER 
SERGEANT FABIAN S. FOLMER AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN SUPPORT SERVICES."

See the story  on the JAC Molesworth by Mr. Peter G. Park here:
http://www.501csw.usafe.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123158367

See the story from the the local newspaper in Osage, Iowa.
http://www.mcpress.com/articles/2009/07/14/news/news01.txt

Marine Corps Colonel Pete Devlin strongly believes in and supports the 
legacy of the 303rd BG and has a deep respect for those who served at 
Molesworth during WWII.  Our base is in good hands.

*_Annual 8th Air Force Historical Society / 303rd Bomb Group Reunion_*
_*Cincinnati, Ohio   August 18 - 23, 2009

*_The official cut off for reunion registration was Thursday, July 
16th.  However, registrations are still being accepted on a space 
available basis.  If you're interested in attending, please don't delay 
any longer.  Complete registration information is available at:  
http://www.8thafhs.org/reunions.htm   You may also read or print all the 
reunion information here: http://www.303rdbg.com/2009-8AFHS-reunion.pdf  
You can speed your hotel reservation by calling the motel direct: 
800.876.2100. Make sure you tell them you are coming as part of the 8th 
Air Force Historical Society Reunion.  For those who live anywhere in 
the mid-West, Cincinnati is a great location for you to attend.  Our 
next reunion will be held in Tucson, Arizona.  If you have any questions 
or need additional information, please contact J. Hardy 757.258.0194 or 
email [email-masked].

_*
TAPS
*_
*George Everette McCutcheon* of Gaylord left this earth Sunday July 12, 
2009 at 87 years of age.... Commissioned a first lieutenant in 1942, 
George piloted B-17 "Flying Fortress" bombers with the Army Air Corps, 
303rd Bombardment Group, flying 36 missions into Germany until war's end 
in 1945. On July 11, 1944 he was a pilot among the largest fleet of 
four-engine bombers ever assembled to raid Germany's rail centers. Crews 
totaled 15,900 men and the bombers formed a column over 100 miles long 
supported by over 800 fighter planes. The mission was honored by a 
presidential citation for extraordinary heroism and tenacious fighting 
spirit under exceptionally difficult conditions. A mission flown 
September 9, 1944 resulted in George landing a badly damaged B-17 in 
France, transferring a seriously wounded bombardier to friendly forces, 
repairing the plane with the crew, and returning to Molesworth, England 
with all hands intact seven days later. Nearly 60 years later, through 
the persistence of his surviving crew and wing commander, George was 
awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for this mission in 2005.

*Albert C. Santella* - Born November 9, 1920 in Fredericktown, 
Pennsylvania.  Died June 28, 2009.  . . . .
After graduating from high school he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps 
and served with the 8th Air Force, 303rd Bomb Group, 359th Squadron, 
Triangle C, Hell's Angels, as a tail gunner. T/Sgt Santella completed 25 
missions and had the distinction of flying in the Knock Out Dropper, 
which was the first B-17 bomber to complete 50 combat missions over 
enemy territory. In his brief yet distinguished military career, he had 
the opportunity to fly with Gen. Robert F. Travis, Col. Richard Stevens 
and, on "Black Thursday," a turning point in the war, flew with a war 
correspondent little known at the time by the name of Walter Cronkite. 
For his exemplary service to his country during Air Offensive Europe, 
Mr. Santella was awarded the Good Conduct Medal, Distinguished Flying 
Cross, Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters, European-African-Middle 
Eastern Campaign Medal and the Distinguished Unit Badge. He had a 
knowledge so complete of the planes in which he flew that he spoke of 
his experiences many times in locations across the country. He was very 
proud not only of the "Mighty Eighth," but also of the brave men who 
served under it.

*Clarence Houseman*, who was part of Werner Goering's crew, passed away 
Sunday, June 28, in Riverside, California.
_*
*_*Lenoir Eugene Dellinger*, 87, of Newbern, Tennessee, died Friday 
morning June 26, 2009, in the Jackson-Madison County General Hospital. 
He was born October 29, 1921 in Avery County, North Carolina, where he 
grew up with seven brothers and sisters. He enrolled at Berea College 
but his studies were interrupted by service in the U.S. Army Air Corps 
from 1942 to 1945. He flew twenty-five combat missions over Germany and 
Northern France as a tail gunner on B-17s that were part of the 303rd 
Bomb Group.  [358th Benham Crew] . . . .

*Donald T. Clare* (427th BS) passed away August 27,2007

Keeping the Legacy Alive,
Gary

-- 
Gary L. Moncur
303rd Bomb Group Historian
[email-masked]
www.303rdBG.com