Subject: [303rd BG News] 24 June 2009
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:06:09 -0600
List-Id: 303rd Bomb Group News <303rd-announce.303rdBG.com>

_*303rd Bomb Group <http://www.303rdbg.com>*_
*
N E W S   U P D A T E S*
*24 June 2009*
*www.303rdBG.com <http://www.303rdbg.com>*
*_

Daughter Visits Father's Grave at Margraten_

*It was an emotional day for Nancy Kapp, daughter of Calvin Turkington, 
and her family as they visited the grave of her father for the first 
time in 65 years.   S/Sgt Turkington was Killed in Action on September 
28, 1944 and was buried in the Netherlands American Cemetery at Margraten.

The May 31, 2009 ceremony was arranged by Captain Frank D. Rudder, 
Commanding Officer and Chairman VZW "Band of Brothers Belgium and The 
Netherlands."  Ms Kapp was presented with the original flag from 
September 28, 1944 and a Golden Mother pin from August 1, 1947.  See Hal 
Susskind story /The Right Stuff - A Tribute to S/Sgt Calvin G. 
Turkington/ here:
http://www.303rdbg.com/therightstuff.html

*
_Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum_

*The restoration of the B-17G "City of Savannah" at the Mighty Eighth 
Air Force Museum in Pooler, Georgia is progressing nicely, as the photos 
below show.  During a recent visit there we ran into an old friend.  The 
photo at the left is myself and Bob Umberger.  Bob flew 26 credited 
combat missions for the 303rd Bomb Group as a waist gunner, including 
several missions on lead crews.  He was a regular at 303rd BGA reunions 
and it was an unexpected pleasure to have our paths cross again at the 
museum.*

*
**

_**_

_**_

_*

*__*35th Annual *_*_8th Air Force Historical Society / 303rd Bomb Group 
Reunion_*
_*Cincinnati, Ohio   August 18 - 23, 2009

*_The deadline for registration is nearing!  If you're interested in 
attending, please don't delay any longer.  Registration information is 
available at:  http://www.8thafhs.org/reunions.htm   You may also read 
or print all the reunion information here: 
http://www.303rdbg.com/2009-8AFHS-reunion.pdf
We're hopeful of having a big turnout from the 303rd BG.
_*

TAPS
*_
*John M. Surrell, Sr.* Feb. 2, 1922 - June 11, 2009 Born in Newberg, 
Oregon . . . . He enlisted in the Army Air Corp in 1944. Trained as a 
pilot and gunner.  Assigned to the 303rd Bomb Group and flew 35 missions 
in a B17 as a tail-gunner from Molesworth AFB, England, 2 missions on 
D-Day. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and Bronze Star.

*Henderson M. Driver*  (360th)  June 2, 2009, Togglier on Tom Hardin Crew

*Edgar E. Snyder, Jr.*  427th BS CO / 303rd BG Deputy CO died July 26, 2005

*Charles W. Apel*  (427th)  July 22, 2006 - Ball turret gunner on Emil 
E. Grob's Crew

*James O. Fulks*  (360th) October 6, 2007 - Copilot on 1Lt James T. 
Hahn's Crew and POW

*William A. Whitman * (360th) - Flight Engineer on Flickenger Crew, died 
December 17, 2007

Keeping the Legacy Alive,
Gary

-- 
Gary L. Moncur
303rd Bomb Group Historian
[email-masked]
www.303rdBG.com

If you would prefer not to receive these 303rd Bomb Group News Updates, please reply and let me know.