Subject: [303rd BG News] 16 May 2009
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 15:02:54 -0600
List-Id: 303rd Bomb Group News <303rd-announce.303rdBG.com>

_*303rd Bomb Group <http://www.303rdbg.com>*_
*
N E W S   U P D A T E S*
*16 May 2009*
*www.303rdBG.com <http://www.303rdbg.com>

*
*__*_*
*_/*Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery, Belgium
Memorial Day 2007*/_*
*_*photo courtesy of J.W. van de Griendt*

*__**_Project: FOLDED FLAG:
_*_*Remembering Those Who Have Passed On*_*_
_*
Memorial Day is May 25th.  I encourage you attend any of the many 
Memorial Day Ceremonies that will take place around the world that 
weekend.  As you visit graves of your 303rd BG loved ones, please send 
me a photo of the grave.  More information is available here: 
http://www.303rdbg.com/project-folded-flag.html

_*303rd BGA 2007 Memorial Service Speech

*_The text of the speech given by *US Senator John Cornyn* at the 303rd 
Bomb Group Association Memorial Service, held at the WWII Memorial in 
Washington DC in 2007, is now available.  See: 
http://www.303rdbg.com/reu-dc2007.html

_*TAPS
*_*
**William J. "Bill" Roche* was born on June 6, 1924 in Chicago, Illinois 
to the late Frank & Ellen Roche, and passed away unexpectedly on May 7, 
2009.  He was preceded in death by his loving wife of 63 ½ years, the 
love of his life, Doris and by his daughter Kathleen Anne Freilich. . . 
.  Bill enlisted in the Army Air Corps on his eighteenth birthday and 
served proudly as a navigator in the 8th Air Force 303rd Bomb Group, 
also known as Hell's Angels, based in Molesworth, England. He was 
awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross and other commendations and flew 
over the beaches of Normandy on D-Day, his 20th birthday. Later in life 
the 303rd Bomb Group reunions were a source of much happiness to him and 
to Doris, and he was pleased to serve as treasurer and national 
president of the organization, in addition to holding statewide offices 
in Florida. . . .

* Victor T. Gorecki, Jr.*, 85, died on Saturday, May 9, 2009 at Hale 
Ho'ola Hamakua in Honokaa, HI.   He was born on May 19, 1923 in Chicago, 
Illinois.  US Army Air Corps Captain in WWII, Hell's Angels 303rd Bomb 
Group flying B-26 and B-17 aircraft. Graduate of Illinois Institute of 
Technology with a degree in photography. He was a retired Photographer. 
Private services will be held at West Hawaii Veterans Cemetery.

*Paul A. Tognetti*  A native of South San Francisco who entered into 
rest on May 1, 2009 at the age of 85. . . . Veteran Lead Radio Operator 
of the U. S. Army Air Corps in the 303rd Bomb Group and a member of the 
8th Air Force Historical Society. Member of YMI Council #32, ICF Branch 
#9, Moose Lodge, So. SF Historical Society, Fire Museum, Old Town 
Homeowner and Renter Association and a member of the Smithsonian 
Institute and Air and Space Museum. Retired Captain of the South San 
Francisco Fire Dept. and former South San Francisco Police Officer. . . 
.  [Paul was a regular at 303rd BGA reunions for many years.]

*
George T. Duncan*  Born 11-11-1921 at Swedish Hospital and died 5-2-2009 
at Swedish Hospital after a long hard fought battle with Kidney disease. 
Graduated Franklin High School in 1940 where he immediately entered the 
military. In 1942 he was transferred to the 303rd Bomb Group, where he 
became a ball turret gunner on a B17. He flew 8 missions over Germany 
and was shot down April 24, 1944. He landed in Switzerland where he was 
interned for 9 months. He escaped dressed as a woman and made his way to 
England with the help of the French Underground and was shipped home to 
Seattle in 1944. He was honorably discharged September 12, 1945. . . .

*Eugene "Geno" F. Dulik*, age 83, of South Haven, MI, died Friday, May 
01, 2009 at Countryside Nursing and Rehabilitation Community. He was 
born May 29, 1925 in New York, NY to John and Catherine (Yurick) Dulik. 
He married Rose Capaccio on November 8, 1952 in Chicago, Illinois. . . 
Geno was a life member of the VFW and the American Legion. He also was a 
member of the South Haven Moose Lodge. Geno was also an author of poems. 
He was preceded in death by his wife Rose. . . . [427th BS ground crew]

*
Robert F. Eaglehouse*, 86, of Blairsville, died Thursday, April 30, 
2009, at Excela Health Latrobe Hospital.  He was born April 22, 1923, in 
Latrobe, a son of the late Joseph and Gertrude (Kahl) Eaglehouse.  
Robert was a member of St. Martin's Church and had been retired from 
Teledyne Vasco Company. He was a veteran of World War II, having served 
in the Army Air Force. Robert was a Purple Heart recipient and had been 
a POW. . . .  [BT gunner on 427th Harry S. Cook Crew]

*John (Jack) F. Hamm* Sr., 87, passed away Monday, April 27, 2009 at his 
home.  Born in Fort Wayne, he was the son of John W. and Retrevea 
(Gehringer) Hamm. He graduated from Central High School in 1940 and was 
drafted into the military in 1942 to fight in WWII.   He entered the US 
Air Force and after completing flight training as a pilot for the B-17, 
he was sent overseas and was stationed in Molesworth, England where he 
flew 18 combat missions as part of the 303rd Bomb Group known as the 
"Hell's Angels." . . .

*Vivian Vanderhei*, LTC U.S. Air Force, Retired, 86, of Henderson, 
passed away Thursday, Jan. 8, 2009. He was born Feb. 22, 1922, in 
Deerbrook, Wis., and was a 35-year resident of Nevada. Vivian entered 
into the U.S. Air Force Jan. 23, 1943, and retired Dec. 31, 1971, with 
an honorable discharge, attaining the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and 
served during World War II, and the Korean and Vietnam wars. Vivian 
specialized in numerous areas of testing, from moving clouds in weather 
research, to being an atomic test pilot, 8th Air Force, 4900 test group 
(AFSC), 303 Bomb Group, 427 Bomb Squad, Hells Angels and he flew 
countless aircraft including, but not limited to, B-52s and B-47s. Also, 
he was an instructor for all aircraft he flew. . . .

_*Loose Ends*_

This 303rd News Update goes out to nearly 1800 members, family and 
friends of the 303rd Bomb Group.  If you know of any others who might 
like to receive it, please send me their email addresses.

Keeping the Legacy Alive,
Gary

- -
Gary L. Moncur
303rd Bomb Group Historian
[email-masked]
www.303rdBG.com

If you would prefer not to receive these 303rd Bomb Group News Updates, please reply and let me know.